Casserole Recipes – Broccoli and Cauliflower Florets in Bechamel Sauce
Broccoli and Cauliflower Florets in Bechamel Sauce
What you need:
2 c. cauliflower florets
2 c. broccoli florets
500 g. spinach
1 T. butter
1 T. red onion, chopped
¼ c. butter
¼ c. all-purpose flour
2/3 c. fresh milk
2/3 c. water used in blanching the vegetables
Parmesan cheese, freshly-grated
Salt and pepper to taste
Butter for greasing
What you need to do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Fill a pot with water, add salt and bring to a boil.
3. Add the cauliflower florets and blanch for about 5 minutes. Remove from the water
and put in an ice bath to stop the cooking process. Then drain the cauliflower in a
4. Next add the broccoli florets into the boiling water and blanch until the vegetable
turns bright green, about 5 minutes.
5. Remove from the water and put in an ice bath to stop the cooking process. Then
drain the broccoli in a colander.
6. Meanwhile, reserve 2/3 c. of the water used in blanching the vegetables and put it in
7. Add the spinach to the remaining hot water and blanch until it’s wilted. Put in an ice
bath and then drain in a colander.
8. Squeeze dry and coarsely chop the spinach.
9. Heat a pan then add the butter and sauté the onions until they’re translucent. Add
the spinach and stir until well-blended. Remove from the pan and set aside.
10. Make the béchamel sauce by melting the butter in a heavy skillet over medium
11. Whisk in the flour and continue to mix until it becomes smooth.
12. Slowly add the milk and 2/3 c. water used in blanching the vegetables. Whisk until
the liquid boils and thickens into a sauce.
13. Add in the spinach and cheese, followed by the cauliflower and broccoli and stir until
14. Taste the mixture first (to avoid excessive saltiness) before you season it with salt.
Then season with pepper.
15. Grease a ½ quart baking dish or pan with butter and evenly spread the vegetable
mixture into it.
16. Bake for 25 minutes or until the mixture is heated through and has puffed. Serve.