Casserole Recipes – Cheddar Rice and Mushroom Casserole
Cheddar Rice and Mushroom Casserole
What you need:
Extra butter for greasing
3 T. butter
2 T. all-purpose flour
¼ c. onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
½ lb. baby bella or shiitake mushrooms, sliced
½ t. garlic powder
½ t. cayenne pepper
1 ½ c. heavy cream
½ c. chicken stock
10-oz. frozen chopped broccoli, 1 pack (thawed then drained)
3 c. rice, cooked
2 c. Cheddar Monterey blend, shredded (divided into 1 cup each)
Black pepper, freshly ground
What you need to do:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Grease a 1 1/8-quart oval casserole dish with butter.
3. Melt 3 T. butter and flour in a large pot under medium-heat until the mixture turns
golden brown (just like the color of a peanut butter).
4. Add the onion, garlic, mushrooms, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, heavy cream
and chicken stock into the pan.
5. Add to this mixture the broccoli, rice and 1 c. cheddar cheese. Season with salt and
6. Pour this mixture into the casserole dish and sprinkle the top with the remaining 1
7. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the cheese has melted and turned
golden brown. Serve hot.