Casserole Recipes – Japanese Eggplant Double-Cheese Casserole
Japanese Eggplant Double-Cheese Casserole
What you need:
2 k. Japanese eggplants, thinly sliced lengthwise
Sunflower or vegetable oil, for frying
750-gram whole canned tomatoes (Italian brand preferred), 2 cans
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
Adequate amount of fresh Italian basil leaves, torn into small pieces
Salt and pepper to taste
300 g. fresh mozzarella, cut into cubes
100 g. Parmesan, grated
What you need to do:
1. Pan-fry the eggplants in the oil until they turn golden brown. Transfer to a plate
lined with paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
2. Using a blender, food processor or food mill, puree the tomatoes.
3. Heat the 2 T. olive oil in a pot then sauté the onions until translucent. Add the
tomato puree and a portion of the torn basil leaves, then stir.
4. Let the mixture simmer until it thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Get an oven-proof ceramic or glass baking dish and spread 4 T. of the tomato
mixture at its bottom.
6. Arrange the eggplant slices into 3 layers and another layer on each side.
7. Lightly cover the mixture with the tomato mixture, basil leaves, mozzarella and
8. Follow this sequence until all the ingredients are used. Finish off with a top layer of
the tomato mixture.
9. Lightly press down the top to compress the layers.
10. Bake in the oven until the cheese has melted and turned golden brown, around 30
to 45 minutes.
11. Serve at room temperature.