Casserole Recipes – Puffed French Toast Casserole with Praline Topping
Puffed French Toast Casserole with Praline Topping
What you need:
Generous amount of butter, for greasing
1 Loaf French bread (around 13 to 16 oz.), sliced into 20 pieces at 1-inch each
8 large eggs
1 c. milk
2 c. half-and-half
2 T. granulated sugar
¼ t. cinnamon, ground
¼ t. nutmeg, ground
1 t. vanilla extract
Dash of salt
Maple syrup, for topping
½ lb. (or 2 sticks) butter
1 c. light brown sugar, packed
1 c. pecans, chopped
2 T. light corn syrup
½ t. cinnamon, ground
½ t. nutmeg, ground
What you need to do:
1. Grease a 9 x 13-inch flat baking dish with a generous amount of butter.
2. Line up the bread slices in two rows on the dish, letting them overlap each
3. Beat together the eggs, milk, half-and-half, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and
salt in a bowl, using a whisk or rotary beater. Blend well but don’t let the mixture
4. Pour this mixture over the bread and make sure that all areas are evenly-covered
by the mixture (spoon the mixture between slices, if needed).
5. Cover the dish with an aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight.
6. The following day, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
7. Prepare the Praline Topping by combining all the ingredients in a medium bowl.
8. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the bread mixture.
9. Bake until it’s puffed and has turned lightly golden, around 40 minutes.
10. Serve the casserole with maple syrup.